LISTEN to the podcast. READ the RnR Grammar. LEARN the vocab and…. ROCK ON!
As always, we look at the SERIOUS issues of the world 🌎 Are taxi drivers b@stards in ALL of the world?! 🤔, taking a MERCEDES to the gym 💪, HOPPING to work and MUCH more! 👊 So just keeeeeeep on ROCKin’ baby! ✌️
The RnR vocab that you will learn in today’s show:
- We don’t want to go into that again as we spoke about it last week
- I will let you off not remembering
- Can you handle that?
- You had to get off the bike
- You exaggerate that story somewhat
- I don’t hop!
- Just in case new listeners don’t know what your day job is
- I couldn’t let that one slide (the picture)
- I don’t like faff (at the airport)
- I sometimes even wear an eye mask
- I thought we could look at some of the etiquette on trains and buses
- You’re at the mercy of the sway of the bus and you drift into people
- Because I’m such a wimp, I just sort of moved his hand away
- If we’ve got any pickpockets listening to this show…
- The seat was tucked away
- He glanced at the seat, so I raised my arm and smelt my own armpit
- What has the world come to?
- People carry around speakers and blare out the music
- There is hell to pay if someone if not there before the agreed the time
In today’s show, Dan the Man said:
“If we’ve got any pickpockets listening to the show…”
I have a question for you…
Could I say “if we’ve any pickpockets listening to the show..“…?
The answer is…. NO!
Why not though?
The reason is that we can ONLY use the contraction of HAVE when it is an AUXILIARY VERB!
So, for example, these are all correct…
- We hadn’t seen it before
- We’ve got to do it
- I haven’t done it yet
Because ‘have’ is an AUXILIARY verb in these examples, but let’s have a loot at these…
- We hadn’t money when we were young
- We’ve to do it
- I haven’t a cat
These are all INCORRECT as the verb ‘have’ is the MAIN verb and NOT the auxiliary verb, so it CAN’T be contracted!
To follow RnR English on Facebook, click HERE.
To listen to RnR English on your phone, click HERE.
PLEASE also leave me a REVIEW in iTunes, HERE are the instructions on what to do!